Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (2024)

Monday, March 1, 2010

14 comments »

Alton Brown’s Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese

As I’ve mentioned many times before, Alton Brown is one of my absolute favorites. Hubby and I have been trying to make more recipes from my autographed copy of his latest cookbook. I love all the extra information provided in the cookbook about the episodes and recipes.

Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (1)

I was looking for a great mac and cheese recipe and instantly remembered the episode For Whom the Cheese Melts 2. I turned to my cookbook and found the recipe. He made a baked mac and cheese and a stovetop version. I opted for the stovetop version.

The next step was to set out to choose some cheeses to use in the mac and cheese. I didn’t want to use just plain old cheddar. I ended up using a mix of sharp cheddar, monteray jack, fontina, and gruyere cheese. The combination was fantastic.

Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (2)

I doubled the recipe so I could use a whole can of evaporated milk and a full box of macaroni noodles. This is my kind of mac and cheese – ooey, gooey, and super cheesey. Of course I could only eat a couple bites because of my lactose intolerance, but those few bites were delicious.

Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (3)

Stovetop Mac and Cheese

Yield: 6-8

Ingredients:

1/2 pound elbow macaroni
4 Tbsp butter
2 eggs
6 oz evaporated milk
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 tsp dry mustard
10 oz sharp cheddar, shredded - I used a combination of sharp cheddar, monteray jack, fontina, and gruyer

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

Side Dish

14 comments »

Related Posts

• Eggplant Parmesan
  • The Food Lab Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Dorito Oreo Popcorn

wp_reset_query(); ?>

17 Responses to “Dorito Oreo Popcorn”

1. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (8)

#1

Ashley — January 30, 2013 at 9:51 am

I am intrigued! I like Oreos and Doritos separately, so I will have to give this popcorn a try. My three-year-old is King of Interesting Combinations, so I know I’ll have a buddy to share it with. 🙂

• Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (9)

beantownbaker — January 30th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Hubby definitely kind of gave me a weird look when I was chowing down on this 😉

2. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (10)

#2

chelsea @ serves two — January 30, 2013 at 11:30 pm

no way! i just posted some doritos chocolate chip cookies on my blog! love the chocolate/dorito combo! this looks super delish 🙂

• Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (11)

beantownbaker — January 31st, 2013 @ 1:59 pm

That is crazy! I bet Doritos in cookies is amazing!

3. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (12)

#3

Karen — February 1, 2013 at 12:32 am

Love this idea! Definitely going to try it soon. I am also thinking Sun Chips would be an awesome part of the combination

4. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (13)

#4

nicole @ i am a Honey Bee — February 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

this is weird… I like it.

• Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (14)

beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

weird? absolutely. delicous? for sure 😉

5. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (15)

#5

Megan — February 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm

What an interesting combo. I always did popcorn, Sourpatch Kids, and Raisinets at the movies, so I can see how this would work.

• Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (16)

beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

Woah – now that’s an interesting combination. I like all of those things separately. I’m going to have to try them all together the next time I go to a movie.

6. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (17)

#6

Kris @everywhereorange.com — February 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm

This sounds amazing. i should admit that i am 37 weeks pregnant and have eaten a ton of oreos and doritos this pregnancy, why oh why didn’t i think to put them together!!! thank you!!!!

• Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (18)

beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

Haha, glad I gave you the idea. Hope you like them together 😉

7. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (19)

#7

Erica @ In and Around Town — February 5, 2013 at 10:39 am

This combination is crazy, but that just means I am going to have to go home and try it. This could totally hit the spot I am sure 🙂

• Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (20)

beantownbaker — February 6th, 2013 @ 11:43 am

Let me know what you think if you do try it

8. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (21)

#8

Joy — February 7, 2013 at 8:57 am

I happen to think this sounds perfect, and not at all strange. But i’m the girl that likes to eat dortitos inside my PB&J sandwiches, and dip french fries in milkshakes…..so to me this makes sense! I’ll have to give it a try – thanks for posting!

• Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (22)

beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

OMG I totally forgot about Doritos inside a PB&J!! I used to do that too. MMmmm.

9. Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (23)

#9

Sues — February 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

OK this is totally weird, but I would totally eat it. Talk about a junk food dream!

• Alton Brown's Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese (24)

beantownbaker — February 7th, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

It’s totally a junk food dream 🙂